Do you have property that you would like to sell? Are you looking for a strategy to reduce your income taxes? A bargain sale might be the right strategy for you.
Benefits of a bargain sale
- Avoid capital gains tax on your charitable gift
- Receive a tax deduction that will reduce your tax bill this year
- Take the cash received from the sale and reinvest it to create future income, save for retirement, buy new property or achieve other financial goals
- Help Fresno State further our important charitable work
How a bargain sale works
- You sell Fresno State your property for a price less than fair market value.
- You receive cash from the sale.
- You can take a charitable deduction for the value of your gift which is the the difference between the fair market value of the property less the sale price.
- While you may owe some tax on the sale proceeds you receive from Fresno State, the charitable deduction from your gift could offset some, most or all of your capital gains taxes associated with the sale.
Planning your estate can sometimes get complicated. Even simple estate plans can have severe tax and other legal consequences. As you review these pages, please remember that there are always exceptions to every rule. We encourage you to seek guidance from a qualified licensed professional such as an attorney or certified public accountant to be certain that your desires are fulfilled without any unwelcome surprises.
HOW CAN FRESNO STATE'S PLANNED GIVING OFFICE BE OF ASSISTANCE?
We are charitable planning specialists and have resources available to support both your investigation and your implementation of gift planning techniques. Our services are professional, conﬁdential and collaborative. They are provided without cost or obligation. We encourage you to call on us to assist you, your family and your advisors in exploring ﬁnancial, estate and charitable planning.For more information, please contact:
Liz Garvin, CGPP
Director of Planned Giving
5244 North Jackson Ave., M/S KC45
Fresno, CA 93740-8023